About Me

My photo
Hello, I am a mother of three living with my husband in Africa. I have been blogging for seven years but still find myself very technologically challenged. I make lots of mistakes, but life is a journey. Come join me on the journey!

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Remembering the Dead

Everyone has had a loved one die. Most of us remember the loved one. We remember them to differing degrees. It depended on how close we were to the individual or how old we were at the time. A wife may particularly remember the last time she said, "I love you," to her husband before he died. A mother may remember the first and last times she held her child.

In the culture within which we live, it is a bit weightier than that. A sacrifice is offered up when the person dies in order to ask for God to extend the hand of peace to the loved one. It is repeated again forty days after the death to ask for welcoming on behalf of the dead, if the family is able to afford to do so.

For those who are really wealthy, they will continue to offer a sacrifice on the yearly anniversary of the loved one's death.  These sacrifices are two-fold in nature. On one hand, they continue to pray that the loved one will be given entrance into paradise, if they have not been admitted already. Secondly, the prayers request graciousness and mercy to be given to those who continue to remember their dead loved ones.

Having had loved ones die, I still remember them. I remember the fun times. For my brother, I remember my last moments with him, even 21 years later. However, I have peace knowing in whom they trusted. I know the One who told the thief, "Today, you will be with me in paradise." So glad I know the Author of grace and peace and need not go through my ancestors to plead for these gifts. There is a way to have assurance of eternity. He said, "I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life; no ones comes to the Father but through me." Resting in His grace!

No comments:

Post a Comment