About Me

My photo
Hello, I am a mother of three living with my husband in Africa. I have been blogging for seven years but still find myself very technologically challenged. I make lots of mistakes, but life is a journey. Come join me on the journey!

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

What Culture do You Live In?

I am proud to be an American. I am, even with all the conflict these days, I am proud of our American heritage. I am blessed with an education to which many around the world do not have access. I am blessed to be related to many military, some of who have died for their country or come back forever changed by their experiences. I have been blessed with freedom to seek God and follow the route He has laid out for me. I am blessed to have a husband who pursued me, rather than a marriage that was arranged for me. I am blessed with an independent and adventurous spirit.  I love different kinds of clothes: dresses and heels; shorts and tank tops with sandals; and jeans with boots.  I still think our republic for the people and by the people is the best government out there, even if I do not agree with a lot of things that have gone on lately, but even being able to say I disagree is an American freedom.

However, I live among a people that would be thrilled to make in a year what most Americans make in a week. They must choose which books they will have that year for school because they cannot afford them all and the schools do not loan them out for the year.  However, this culture values people. You would not dare pass someone without greeting them, especially if you make eye contact with them. Even if you are late for something, you still greet and ask about one's family and everyone's health. They take time to drink tea together.  The women traditionally dress in a way as to show respect for their husband, that their body is not for the world but their husband alone.  The women cover their heads if they are married, and other men respect that.  Here the people do not hesitate to discipline their neighbors' children or at least take the child to their parent. Here they respect their elders and care for them. Here your neighbors are your first family, not just the family you are related to by blood.

Every culture has its aspects that are good, bad, and indifferent. We have to look at the culture in which we live in light of the Good News. Some of my American-ness is good, but some of it is not. Some of my host culture is good, but some of it is not. As followers of the Way, we must be focused on the Good News culture. Will it be awkward and hard sometimes? Sure. Is it what we are called to do as brothers and sisters? Yep. Just because my culture says it is ok to say or do something does not necessarily mean that I should. Let us be salt and light wherever we are today.

No comments:

Post a Comment