About Me

My photo
Hello, I am a mother of three living with my husband in Africa. I have been blogging for seven years but still find myself very technologically challenged. I make lots of mistakes, but life is a journey. Come join me on the journey!

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Why am I here?

Why am I here?  What could make me leave my family and friends?  What could make me leave the conveniences of America?  What could cause me to put my children in unfamiliar territory?  What could cause me to have my family in a place where illness is always a possibility?  What could make me stay in a place where mice and bugs come into my home regularly?  What could cause me to learn a difficult language with urgency?

Certainly not "a crutch for the weak" nor the "opium for the masses."  Certainly not a tradition that gives me comfort and is ok for me, but which is not great enough to convict and bless the whole world.  It is truth!  It is the "knowledge of truth which is according to godliness, in the hope of eternal life, which God, who cannot lie, promised long ages ago, but at the proper time manifested, even His word, in the proclamation with which I was entrusted."  The Father sent the Son into the world to live a life perfect and unblemished to be an example for us and to make the way for us to be with the Father eternally.

I have heard it said, "If I am wrong, what harm is there because I have lived a good life.  If those who do not believe are wrong, then they will spend an eternity apart from the Father."  Though true, this is not even enough to propel me to the life I live.  I have known times of clear leading and I have known times where I did not know the next step.  I have known great joy and great sorrow.  I have known times of poverty (american style) and times of wealth (African style).  And yet God's peace has always been sufficient.  What else can bring that peace?  Not any government!  No rally in the economy!  Nothing but the Author and Perfector of Peace!  If I have such great peace and the whole world is seeking it, how can I keep it to myself.  I have a hope of an eternal future which is great!  But more real to me is what I have already experienced in my life.  My mind cannot fathom the greatness of eternity in the light of all I have experienced.  But I know in whom I have believed and am persuaded that He is able!  I am eternally grateful for all that The Father has done for me and for the abundant peace with which I have been blessed! 

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment