About Me

My photo
Hello, I am a mother of three living with my husband in Africa. I have been blogging for seven years but still find myself very technologically challenged. I make lots of mistakes, but life is a journey. Come join me on the journey!

Friday, November 20, 2015

Stereotypes

Be careful of the generalizations, i.e. stereotypes, you make.

I have been reading the book of Acts this week, preceded by the four books about the life of Jesus. It struck me how different things might have been if everyone had stuck by their stereotypes.

Jesus tried to teach the Sadducees and Pharisees a great many things, but most remained in opposition to him. However, Nicodemus came in the night to learn and try to sort this New Way out for himself. In Acts, those same religious leaders were going to persecute the followers of Jesus. Gamaliel spoke words of wisdom into the situation and calmed them. He might not have been for them, but he was certainly not  picking up stones either. Maybe not all the Sadducees and Pharisees were a "brood of vipers."

On the reverse side, I see Judas and the other disciples. Most certainly, all the disciples seemed to have had their moments of weakness, whether it being denial or just running away from a situation. Judas, though, gets the prize for being the biggest traitor. He sits next to Jesus for the Last Supper, but then betrays Jesus for a few pieces of silver, with a kiss no less. What would happen if we grouped all the disciples together?

When we stereotype people, painting with broad brush strokes, people are liable to get hurt. Some might wonder how I can even begin to address stereotypes. Surely I don't know anything about being a victim of stereotyping. But, I do.

I experience it, in big and small ways, on an almost daily basis where we live. Maybe it is the kids playing in the street or a neighbor. Maybe someone wants me to pay more than I should at the market because of skin color. Maybe they think that my life is sunshine and roses, no work and living it up. Maybe they assume they can skip greeting and ask for money. But maybe I just want a friend, someone to say a kind word, to ask how I am really doing and mean it. Maybe I could use help at the market.  Maybe I just want to be treated kindly. I don't always like the box I am in.

Jesus had problems too because of stereotyping. The Israelites had been waiting hundreds of years for the Messiah.  Then Jesus came. Being the only one, there was not really a mold to break, but Jesus broke the mold anyway. They expected one thing of the Messiah, what he would look like and do, but He was not that way. Because of the stereotype, many did not see Him for who He was.

Whom could you befriend that you are missing because of a stereotype you hold? Who am I not blessing and in turn not being blessed by because of the stereotypes I have held? What neighbor sits in their home alone because everyone else is afraid to reach out?

No comments:

Post a Comment