About Me

My photo
Hello, I am a mother of three living with my husband in Africa. I have been blogging for seven years but still find myself very technologically challenged. I make lots of mistakes, but life is a journey. Come join me on the journey!

Thursday, November 12, 2015

Kady is an Enigma!

I met Kady just a couple of weeks ago, but she has baffled me twice already.

She called me a couple of weeks ago on a Thursday evening. She did not call to ask for anything. She just wanted to be sure we were meeting on Sunday to study. Now, I don't want it to sound bad on others around us, but rarely do we get calls from others just to chat or check on us. Generally they need something. It costs money to call, extra money they generally do not have, so they do not call much, in my experience, unless they have a need.  An exception to the rule was when we came back this time and our former language teacher called to welcome me back and plan to visit me in person, but she has known us for years.  Not only was Kady not calling to ask for money, she actually was asking about studying the Word, the reason why we are here. Wow!

Then when she did come on Sunday, she brought me cucumbers that her husband had grown and some bananas that she bought at the market. Now it is not completely unusual for gifts of produce that they have grown to be given, though one does keep in mind that it could have been sold to provide for their family. However, a purchased gift is more rare, as I have experienced. Generally we are seen as the ones with money, so we do not need to be given so much. Kady would not even let me share the bananas with her daughter, who shares my name. What a blessing Kady poured out on me!

As I type this, I am reminded of times that we have gone to the village to visit, maybe even spend the day, and took rice and other items for cooking out with us. Even then they would cook it to share with us, or something like bananas would be portioned out among us, the guests, and those with whom we went to visit. Kady however would not let me share with her and her daughter.

Kady is an enigma to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment