About Me

My photo
Hello, I am a mother of three living with my husband in Africa. I have been blogging for seven years but still find myself very technologically challenged. I make lots of mistakes, but life is a journey. Come join me on the journey!

Sunday, November 2, 2014

I Hate School!

What student hasn't said that before? More specifically, what middle schooler, sixth grader even, has not said those words at one point or another? 

Last week, my daughter told me that her brother felt that way. I inquired of him whether that was true. He confirmed that he indeed felt that way. 

I expressed doubt about the truth of that statement. I told him that his teachers at parent-teacher conference said that he is an eager learner and one they can always count on to have the answers, in addition to being a joy to his teachers. So I asked again if it was true that he hated school.

He confessed that it was not completely true. Maybe he just dislikes school. Truth be told he mainly dislikes homework and struggles in making true friends. He said that every day is a struggle except Saturdays and Sundays. He looks forward from one weekend to the next. 

I told him that it can be easy to focus on the struggles and not see the good stuff. If look forward from one weekend to another, we miss the blessings of each day. I confessed that it could be easy for me to only look forward to returning to West Africa, but then I would miss all the blessings that God gives us between now and then. I told him that I have some really tough days, but even on those days, I find things for which to be grateful. (This conversation taking place on some of my worst post-treatment days.) 

The next morning as he got ready for school, I reminded him to look for the good things of the day. When he encountered a rough spot, think how he could change the situation, and where he cannot change the situation, he can change his attitude about it. 

This lesson sounded a lot like one we learned earlier in the year about enjoying the moments you have, because you may never have that opportunity again. However, maybe I needed the reminder as much as he did to keep pressing on and keep looking for the good things, especially on those really hard days. 

At the end of the week, while praying before bed, he changed in the middle of his prayer from "give me friends" to "give me more friends" showing he was able to be grateful for the friends he does have. This positive outlook was a step in the right direction. 

No comments:

Post a Comment