About Me

My photo
Hello, I am a mother of three living with my husband in Africa. I have been blogging for seven years but still find myself very technologically challenged. I make lots of mistakes, but life is a journey. Come join me on the journey!

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Why is that Bible a big deal?

I lost my Bible a few weeks ago. I am sure it will turn up somewhere soon, but for now, it is lost. Some may wonder why that is a big deal. I had to think to myself why indeed that particular Bible is a big deal.

Am I not currently in the land of plenty of Bibles? For goodness sake, I am in the "Bible belt."  Can I not just run down to Lifeway and get another one? I could but it would not be the same. Why?

Is it because my brother gave me that Bible when I was ten, and I have held onto everything that he gave me with great sentimentality since he died twenty years ago?
Is it because I remember those many camps and choir tours as I look at and touch those skittle stained edges?
Is it because I can see my early handwriting of names of God in the cover?
Is it because of all the highlights in it from days of youth?
Is it because of the list of songs that I love that I want at my funeral?
Is it because of the notes from sermons that stuck out to me?
Is it because of the time and place markings of where God spoke to me in my life?

Why is that Bible so special? Well, truth be told is that a little of all those things go into making that particular Bible so special to me. I do hold onto things that remind me of my brother.  It has been my best friend to turn to in days of trial. It has been there when no one else was near. It gave me words to express my deep joys or deepest anguish. The stories of heroes who struggled often gave me encouragement to keep going. Those notes within are my Ebenezer of God's faithfulness unto me.  So that book of God's story is also tells my story. God's Word is alive and active and speaks new truth to me daily, revealing to me more about God and myself and my world.

So in the meantime, I will not bother getting a new Bible, because we have so many back in Africa. I will use my iPad Bible, which I gave my husband a hard time about before this. I will use my Pulaar Bible, which God may have wanted me to do anyway, so that I can retain my language while in the states.  Yes, I will continue to seek my Bible that has been my dear friend, but I pray that I will also seek God to reveal Himself anew daily to me through whichever medium He chooses.

No comments:

Post a Comment