About Me

My photo
Hello, I am a mother of three living with my husband in Africa. I have been blogging for seven years but still find myself very technologically challenged. I make lots of mistakes, but life is a journey. Come join me on the journey!

Saturday, January 5, 2013

The Encourager Needs Encouragement

I have begun reading the Bible through in a year chronologically. It has been interesting to read it in this manner, rather than the typical reading through in the published order. As such, I am already two days into Job.

In the past, I like many others have given Job's friends a bad rap. The phrase, "with friends like that, who needs enemies?" has often been used regarding them. However, as I read Eliphaz's counsel to Job, I saw something different. Eliphaz reminded Job of the times that Job had counseled others to continue to seek God in the midst of their circumstances. Eliphaz's then counsels Job to stay the course and continue to seek God as well through the difficult days, which fall on the innocent and the wicked. Job then responds that it is just too hard and he has lost hope.

Is that not always the way?  On one hand, we might encourage others, yet they do not really know all of our story. It may be that we know the struggle within more than the hearer realizes, so it may seem simple to the one with whom we are speaking.  We may even be speaking as one having climbed out of the pit. On the other hand, we might encourage others from a place of confidence, which has never really been tested.  When the days of testing that confidence come, we must remember the words which we used to encourage others.

A few years ago, I was deeply impressed to admonish someone who was close to me regarding a particular area of struggle, and I even lead a study with others on this struggle.  I had struggled a little in this area, but I mostly came from a place of surety in what God's Word said more than my own experience. Shortly thereafter, I wrestled with that temptation like a wild animal trying to escape its predator.  I wrestled and wrestled and begged God to remove that temptation.  In time, the temptation was removed, especially as the cues were removed. Many times I had to refer myself to those very passages that I had used in admonishing the one who was close to me. Now having experienced what I did, I would be more sure about what I said rather than less so.

So was Eliphaz right? Yes, he encouraged Job to hold on to those truths that Job had shared before. Did it feel very good? No, but admonishment never does. Does it mean that we should not do it? No, hard things still need to be said, and in time they will bear fruit. Should we be prepared to deal with a struggle when we counsel others? You betcha!

No comments:

Post a Comment