About Me

My photo
Hello, I am a mother of three living with my husband in Africa. I have been blogging for seven years but still find myself very technologically challenged. I make lots of mistakes, but life is a journey. Come join me on the journey!

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

The Nomadic Shepherds

I find it interesting how differently we as humans view people than how God views people.

In the Christmas story of Luke 2, God sent His angels to reveal to the shepherds the birth of His only Son. They were the most common of folk. Their job was not glamorous nor gave them any position of authority at all. However God Most High chose to reveal the birth of The Lord of Lords to mere shepherds. It was not even a little announcement, but one with multitudes of heavenly host praising God. Having been convinced by these messengers, the shepherds went to find things just as it had been revealed to them. After this encounter, the shepherds went around spreading the good news. I wonder what kind of reception they got. Did anyone believe them? Did anyone care? Scripture does not tell what others who heard their tale thought of them. However it does tell that that wondered, were curious, amazed that God would reveal these things to them. How had they been treated by religious leaders? Had they been made to think that they were not worthy to be entrusted with such things?

Since we have been working with a people who are known as shepherds, this story and others about shepherds in the Word intrigue me. I am reminded that the first profession named in the Bible was a shepherd. Abel, though not the firstborn, is first recognized for his profession as a keeper of flocks. He then is recognized for his faith. Cain, Abel's brother and a worker of the land, has many descendants. The first group of Cain's descendants that have recognition for their profession are those who dwelt in tents and took care of livestock.  God apparently placed value enough on the shepherds to give them foremost listing in profession.

So why is it that the people we work amongst who have been traditionally nomadic tent dwellers and keeper of livestock and flocks get such a bad reputation? They are looked down upon by other people groups. Our particular people are looked down upon by others of the same larger group. Why is that? I don't know.

God does not see people the way we see people. God looks at the heart. God, help me to see people the way You see people. Help me to elevate those that have been downtrodden.  Help me to take the Good News to the nomadic shepherd.

No comments:

Post a Comment