About Me

My photo
Hello, I am a mother of three living with my husband in Africa. I have been blogging for seven years but still find myself very technologically challenged. I make lots of mistakes, but life is a journey. Come join me on the journey!

Thursday, January 3, 2013

Have you settled?

I started reading the Bible through in a year this week. It has been a long time since I have done it, but this year I also decided to do it chronologically. I am excited about reading it this way, rather than the general order or random picks from multiple places that do not really go together.

Today, I came to the part about Terah and his sons, which included Abram.  I am always intrigued when I read the passage. I wonder what caused Terah to take up his family and head to Canaan. Was he wanting to visit other relatives? Were there more job prospects out there? Had he heard about a land flowing with milk and honey, as it was known later? Did God call him to go there?

Why did he stop? Why did he settle before he reached his intended destination? Did he become ill and could not physically make it any farther? Did he find a land that was "good enough?" Was he nostalgic for his son, Haran, that died, so he stopped in a place called Haran? Did he find work for them all? Was he discouraged or just plain weary from the travel? Did God stop Terah from going any farther, so that Abram could be the one to go into the land?

Why did Terah settle? Literally, God only knows. However, it makes me stop to consider. Have I settled in some area of my life? Is there something more God has for me that I have not yet arrived to but have stopped moving toward?  Maybe.  Have I settled for less than believing God for all that He has promised?  Unfortunately, I can look back over the last few years and see where I have.  Have I settled for good enough? Maybe.  Have I given up hope of things ever changing in a relationship and settled for how they are?  Often.  In addition, can I see where He is moving me to get my children in a position closer to Him? Oh yeah!

Father God, I don't want to settle for good enough or close enough just because I get tired. I don't want to stop short of all you have for me to do or be. Keep me moving, Lord, with You. Keep me believing for all that You have promised. Help me never to "settle."

No comments:

Post a Comment