About Me

My photo
Hello, I am a mother of three living with my husband in Africa. I have been blogging for seven years but still find myself very technologically challenged. I make lots of mistakes, but life is a journey. Come join me on the journey!

Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Meet Kady!

aka What does Sabbath rest mean?

Two weeks ago, Jennifer had expressed an interest in getting together to study the Word. She wanted to come over on a day she did not have many responsibilities at home so that she would not be rushed. I had agreed and prepared the day before and day of for her arrival. Though it has traditionally been my rest day, I am learning what that means. Unfortunately, she never showed. I found out the following day that she had a funeral near her mother's house.

She and I planned again to meet soon and hopefully to even get others to gather with us. Maybe we would go to the home of a Brother instead of meeting at my house. She also wanted to invite her best friend, Kady, who had been studying with our other teammate and Kady's husband, who also had a copy of the Word. Jennifer and I prayed before going to the market, that the Lord would be with us that day.

At the market, we met up with Kady at the crazy heart of the market. She agreed that she wanted to begin studying again as well. Jennifer invited her to come over on the following rest day. The rest day came and was so rainy. I did not expect anyone to show up, but Kady did. I was not dressed for company, nor was I completely sure what we were going to study. I changed clothes and called to see if Jennifer was on her way. While Kady and I waited on Jennifer, I read a little of the Word with her. Then I asked what she had studied before with our teammate.

In the course of Kady's answer, she called Jesus a prophet. This told me a lot about where she is in her journey. I felt lead to share Creation to Christ with her. After this, Jennifer arrived.

We did the customary greetings and talked about future meetings together and going to the village. Kady's daughter, at two years old, was dressed nicer than the other three of us.  Kady invited us over to her house to know where she lives and to meet her husband, so that he would know that someone is here with whom to study.  Jennifer missed out on the study of the Word. She asked for us to study a bit more before going. I shared a story I had read that morning. We prayed and sang a couple of songs together. Then we left.

I drove us. I had a feeling the walk was going to be long, but my legs had been tired the last couple of days. I was glad I did because it was across town. We parked and went in to greet her husband. We chatted for a bit and then talked about meeting together to study soon. Jennifer needed to get home to cook dinner, so she and I left.

In thinking about when our family would have a rest day, we also needed to consider what days were going to be best for ministry with our local Family members. With no teammates to tag out on rest days, we needed to be available on the best day for ministry. As I have been reading the Gospels lately, I find a constant emphasis on pulling away to pray but also on not being legalistic about the Sabbath. Jesus would teach and do miracles, drawing to the Father, on the Sabbath. What does that mean for us to have rest and yet not be legalistic about it? I am still figuring that out, but I am trying to leave my plans open for the Father to lead.

The day after Kady came to my house, I went to the market for just a few things. As I walked down the road, Kady, dressed lovely and wearing a stud nose ring, saw me and came running over. She asked if we were going to study again the next Sabbath. I told her we would.

Lift up Kady and her husband as they continue seeking. Lift up the local Family members to meet together soon and be impressed to continue. Lift us up as we discover what Sabbath rest means for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment