About Me

My photo
Hello, I am a mother of three living with my husband in Africa. I have been blogging for seven years but still find myself very technologically challenged. I make lots of mistakes, but life is a journey. Come join me on the journey!

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

No pride or jealousy?

As I said, I have been reading through the Bible in a year chronologically. I am currently in Exodus. Recently Moses came down from the mountain with the tablets on which the Ten
Commandments were written and threw them down at the sight of the people worshipping a golden calf.

Before going up the mountain, the people promised to adhere to all that Moses had passed on to them from God. Moses went to the mountain for about a month and a half. In that time, the people grew weary of Moses being gone and begged Aaron to make an idol for them to worship. Aaron told him to bring their gold to him, which they melted down and then fashioned a calf out of the god to be worshipped. When Moses came down, Aaron seems to be saying that the calf just jumped out of the gold on its own.

Meanwhile, on the mountain, God is giving instructions to Moses for how the tabernacle is to be constructed and how the priests, of whom Aaron was to be the first, were to be dressed.

Really? Moses is there with God. He is so tight with God that God makes a way for Moses to see part of Him. Meanwhile, the one who is supposed to be the high priest is down with the people making an idol for them to worship. However, God is giving Moses all the details for a magnificent robe for Aaron to wear as high priest. Really? The irony jumped out at me me as I read this passage again.

As Moses, I would protest that Aaron was unworthy to have such a title and such a fine robe. However, Moses does not appear to do that. He clearly brought righteous indignation down the mountain, but he does not appear to argue with God about the choice of Aaron and who may or may not deserve to wear such a robe. He did call out to those who would be on the the Lord's side, which brought forth the Levites. He did instruct them to kill those who were worshipping the idol, which numbered about 3000 men. However, Aaron continued to live and would be adorned with that beautiful robe.

I struggle with that idea. What about Moses? He gets no fancy robe. He and God are tight. Aaron is enabling, even encouraging, the people to worship an idol. This is all just wrong.

Then again, maybe that is why I needed to read this story again. Moses was satisfied in God's presence. Of course, Moses also fasted 40 days and nights, which may have been necessary to remove his pride too. Maybe that fasting was the key to his response to God's directions.

How often do I let my pride get in the way of what God wants to do? What is is that I need to do to let God lead me?

1 comment:

  1. This gave me alot to think about! Thanks for your thoughts on this story.

    ReplyDelete