About Me

My photo
Hello, I am a mother of three living with my husband in Africa. I have been blogging for seven years but still find myself very technologically challenged. I make lots of mistakes, but life is a journey. Come join me on the journey!

Saturday, February 25, 2012

Rated R for Horror--part 2

As I stated in part 1, if you are a child or under 18, stop reading this now and have your parents read it before you do.  If you are a parent and you are reading this to your children, please stop. This topic is not pleasant but one very much in need of awareness.

I will spare what gruesome details I can, but this post is not for the weak.  Female circumcision is illegal in this country and is punished legally, but it does still occur in some villages.

A girl between the ages of 4 and 8 is taken to a hut where an older woman comes to meet her.  Then four people each hold her arms and legs, while the woman cuts off the girl's clitoris.  For this day and a week afterwards, a drummer is outside the hut to play drums to drown out the girl's screams of pain.  After the week, the wound is treated further.  However, the girl will never know sexual pleasure as a woman, because, after all, "pleasure is for men." 

How do you minister to this girl?  How do you minister to women who have endured this?  How do you help her to realize her value in God's eyes when she has been so demeaned and broken?  How do you explain how a God who loves her allowed this to happen?  How do I??? I don't know.

1 comment:

  1. Lisa... I have been really convicted to pray stronger for you guys. Please know you can count on these prayers. Love you.

    ReplyDelete