About Me

My photo
Hello, I am a mother of three living with my husband in Africa. I have been blogging for seven years but still find myself very technologically challenged. I make lots of mistakes, but life is a journey. Come join me on the journey!

Saturday, February 25, 2012

Rated R for Horror

Before I begin my story, I ask that if you are reading this to a child, please stop.  If you are a child reading this, please stop and have a parent read it before you do.  I do need to make a disclaimer before I begin.  The story I am about to tell is not always the case, however, it does happen and it is a story worth telling. 

A girl is often given in marriage at an early age, particularly in the village, often shortly after she becomes a "woman" by having her menstrual cycle.  Parents may be concerned for the girl's welfare or just to prevent any premarital sexual activity and consequently premarital pregnancy. 

One 13 year old girl was taken on a walk by her father.  They came to a hut where a man 3 times older than the girl was waiting for them.  The father introduced the girl to the man and then told her that she would now submit to this man because he would be her husband.  The father walked out of the door and closed it behind him.  The "husband" proceeds to force himself on the girl, raping her and attempting to keep her from screaming.  Meanwhile, the "father" waits outside, telling the girl that she will submit, threatening to kill her if she does not.

Upon hearing this story, I was not sure which one to be more horrified over, the husband or the father.  With this picture of a father, I would have a hard time presenting God as our heavenly Father.  How do you explain what true love is to a woman who has been treated in this way?

On a side note, as I said, this is not necessarily the rule, however it does happen.  Is it any wonder that I have a hard time letting my young daughters out of the house?  Young men will often say how pretty they are and ask to be their husband.  Sometimes I can tell they are joking or just wanting to compliment them, but other times I can feel a chill go down my spine.   I am so grateful that my girls have a father who is adamant about protecting them and letting them know they are truly loved and consistently shows them how much they are valued.  Pray with me that girls like this one will know what true love is.

No comments:

Post a Comment