About Me

My photo
Hello, I am a mother of three living with my husband in Africa. I have been blogging for seven years but still find myself very technologically challenged. I make lots of mistakes, but life is a journey. Come join me on the journey!

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Priorities!

This week I have been convicted about my priorities!  But at the same time I just do not know where to start sometimes.  Some days I am really good about staying on task regarding language and ministry.  Other days I am really good about focusing on the kids' school and meeting their needs.  Unfortunately, all these things are easy to pay attention to when they are screaming so loudly, figuratively speaking, for my attention.  But the two people who are to have most of my time and energy are often the ones that get the least or at least not my best. 

I have a habit of waking up early to have my time with the Lord and a cup of coffee before anyone else wakes up.  This is great when I actually wake up on time and have had a good night's rest so that I am focused when I do get up.  Unfortunately, it has been difficult for me to either go to sleep on time or to stay asleep all night for one reason or another and so my time with the Lord suffers.  So then shortly after I finally get started with my quiet time, some cute little girl who is awake too early comes in and distracts me.  I try really hard to stay focused and send her back to bed if it is too early, but nonetheless I am distracted.  As a result, I sometimes feel like I am going through the drive-thru at McDonald's or worse yet, Krispy Kreme, where I get nothing of real substance to get me through the day.  I'm not saying everyday is this way, and have in fact had some really insightful times lately as well, but they are fewer and farther between than I would like.  Lord, help me to be more faithful in my times with You and to be at my best for You!

Then my day begins!  The following is an ideal schedule, though very few days are ever ideal!
7-8:15am Get the laundry going and breakfast ready,family prayer time, eat, and finish getting ready for class.
8:30-10:30  language class

11:00-1:00  Homeschool

1:00-2:00  Lunch and hanging out for a few minutes while all the yummy food settles
2:00-3:00 Rest time because it is too hot to do anything else, when we do not have meetings that is
3:00-5:00  Ideally study time tho often interrupted by "Mommy!  Can we...?" unless we did not finish homeschool earlier and have to finish at this time
5:00-5:30  Get redy to go visiting which means often a few minutes dedicated to Mariama to make visiting time smoother
5:30-7:00  Visiting or sitting outside to watch the kids play while I try to get in some more studying
7:00-8:00 (ok 8:30)  dinner and getting kids to bed
8:30-9:30  (ok 10)  Getting myself ready for bed and possibly watching a show on DVD with the hubby before collapsing asleep

As you can see, there is someone who gets my leftovers, and he deserves so much better.  Rich gets what is left of me at the end of the day, which I cannot say is very much, once the two blessings that are walking around are done with me in addition to the one I am currently incubating.  He is such a great husband and deserves my best!  Plus that is actually how the Lord designed it.  God--#1, Spouse-#2, and then kids and then whatever else.  Unfortunately, it is easy to get that order mixed up.  Lord, show me how I can show my husband that he has this significant place in my heart!  Lord, show me how to give my husband my best, and not just my leftovers!   Lord, thank you for this fabulous man that you have given me!

No comments:

Post a Comment