About Me

My photo
Hello, I am a mother of three living with my husband in Africa. I have been blogging for seven years but still find myself very technologically challenged. I make lots of mistakes, but life is a journey. Come join me on the journey!

Sunday, April 18, 2010

The Enemy's Tactics!

This week I was studying the temptation of Jesus as recorded in Matthew 4.  Several things struck me as interesting that maybe I had never thought of or that I had forgotten about. 

First, Jesus was led up by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil.  When we are tempted, we often will say that God is nowhere around, but obviously God was there because the Spirit led Him, in addition to the fact that He is God in the flesh.  We act like we are hopeless and without ability to resist, and yet Jesus did resist because He was not alone, and neither are we.  My children recently drove me crazy with their response when I questioned them about why they had done something they were not supposed to do.  At different times for different offenses, each of them basically said, "Satan tempted me."  I was more infuriated rather than less, because that is so often the weak excuse we give, "The devil made me do it."  I agreed that he had tempted them but said that was not an excuse, because they were the ones who made the choice to listen and obey!

Then the tempter came to Jesus and said, "IF You are the Son of God,..."  The tempter knew very well exactly who Jesus was and what He was capable of doing, and yet he taunted Jesus by saying "if".  I will get to Jesus' response later.  But the tempter comes back a second time with "IF You are the Son of God..." and then proceeds to twist scripture.  Jesus responded to him again in the same fashion.  A third time the tempter comes at Jesus saying, "All these things I will give You, if You fall down and worship me." 

The tempter has not changed his tactics and yet we still fall for them.  He questioned Jesus' identity, and he questions ours as well.  "If you are really a Christian...."  "If you are really a child of God..."  "If you are really saved by grace..."  You fill in with whichever line he has used most on you.  Then he proceeds to twist the words of the Father, which he has done since approaching Eve in the Garden.  Then last but not least He makes promises that He cannot keep, and yet for some reason we think he can and will.  He promised Jesus the world, which was not really his to give.  He promises peace, an easy life, and pleasure, but all he brings is pain and grief and anything but peace. 

We must be wise to his tactics and learn from Jesus how to respond to him.  In each and every step of the temptation, Jesus quoted scripture to contradict what the tempter had said.  But that requires us learning and memorizing scripture, so that we are ready in the moment that we are tempted.  I have always wanted to learn more scripture but cannot say that I have always done the best job at carrying it out.  I was challenged anew this week to do that very thing and I would challenge you to join me, so that we might be ready for battle!  Take up your "Sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God."  Ephesians 6:17

No comments:

Post a Comment