About Me

My photo
Hello, I am a mother of three living with my husband in Africa. I have been blogging for seven years but still find myself very technologically challenged. I make lots of mistakes, but life is a journey. Come join me on the journey!

Friday, January 5, 2018

Pulled Out of the Pit

Sorry for not writing for a while. I fell into a “pit” from which I had to be lifted. I know I could have written and many of you would have been praying for me, but I did not even know how to express where I was spiritually. Maybe now I can put into words the spiritual journey on which I have been. 

It was such an encouragement in October to see how God was working and get a glimpse of why He brought us to Congo. That encouragement would be a rope to which I clung in the pit. Now, on this side of things, I can say that just as important as that encouragement was in the pit, so important also is the pit to my moving forward. 

As I fell into the pit, I was frustrated and depressed over areas of my life in which I still struggle. After so many years as a Christian, I would think I would be better than I am. People would talk about conversion being radical because we are new creations. So why do I still struggle in these same areas? 

A few years ago, as I expressed similar frustration in a team meeting, a wise team mate said, “well, if it were not that, it would be something else.” My reaction at the time was less than appreciative of this “little ray of sunshine.”

Even Paul struggled, saying, “the things I want to do, I don’t do, and the things I don’t want to do, I do.” Scripture also says that “He who began a good work in you will be faithful to complete it on the day when Christ returns.” What would be the point of continuing to work on us if we were already as we should be? I am a work in progress.  I am not what I once was but I am not yet what I ought to be. As Mandisa says, “I am just unfinished.” 

So the other day as I listened to the sermon of someone whose name you all know, share about a time recently of feeling completely inadequate for the job ahead of him, it became clear to me too why I had to fall into the pit.  

So why did I need to fall into that pit? After seeing how God had worked to bring us to this place, it would be easy to rely on my own strength, thinking that I was in any way capable of carrying out His work. So I needed the pit, to see that truly it is His working all the way around. If I am equipped, it is because He orchestrated it. If there is any ability in me, it is because He put it there. It is His work and for His glory. Any time I am tempted to think I am able to do what He has laid before me, quickly I will find myself accepting glory for what is His. 


Not sure where you are right now. Not sure if you are in a pit yourself. If so, cling tightly to the Truth of His Word and hold onto it. He will answer when you call upon Him. Listen for His still, small voice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment