About Me

My photo
Hello, I am a mother of three living with my husband in Africa. I have been blogging for seven years but still find myself very technologically challenged. I make lots of mistakes, but life is a journey. Come join me on the journey!

Thursday, June 9, 2016

Feast Day

Cancer stinks, to put it mildly. It just does. I watched my brother fight a nine month battle, but he never lost his joy. I have known many who were diagnosed and were told they were clear following treatment only to have it return with more force later. A sweet seven year old boy has been fighting this battle hard most of his life, but his family was told this week that the treatments are not effective. He has lived life to the fullest and they are enjoying the days they have with him. A friend here went to a funeral yesterday for a friend of her son. The friend had been suffering with cancer for a while. Many here assume no one dies in America from cancer because of better medical care, but we all know that is not accurate.

Almost two years ago, I was diagnosed with cancer. Treatment was not easy. Eight rounds of chemotherapy. A very intense surgery, from which I will forever bear scars. Thirty sessions of radiation. Some have certainly been through more, but it was my road to walk. Then after all of that was done, we waited three months to do a scan to look for cancer in the body. The scan came up empty. A year ago tomorrow, I was declared cancer free. Praises filled our hearts.

That was not the end of the road though. I still had another surgery. I will be taking a drug to prevent its return for the next several years. I will probably take vitamins for the rest of my life, which is not such a bad idea anyway.  I have to see the doctor often to make sure the cancer has not returned. Some have endured far more. Once again, it is my journey.

When I look at Exodus, I see that God ordained feast days for His people to remind them of His deliverance and His faithfulness. In Exodus 13:3, Moses says to the people, "Remember this day...for by a powerful hand the Lord brought you out from this place." They were to observe the feast days as they journeyed through the wilderness as well as the Promised Land. Whether in hard times or in places of "milk and honey," we must remember how the Lord has provided for us.

Two months ago yesterday, we were displaced. Since then, we have been encouraged as we look back on God's provision and faithfulness throughout the cancer journey. Though we are wandering, we will hold our feast day and remember His provision.
Happy June 10th!

No comments:

Post a Comment