About Me

My photo
Hello, I am a mother of three living with my husband in Africa. I have been blogging for seven years but still find myself very technologically challenged. I make lots of mistakes, but life is a journey. Come join me on the journey!

Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Jennifer is a Widow.

Jennifer's tale has been up and down. She struggled in her marriage, and we discussed that he could not really love her without being in The Way.  She was drawn to real faith as she saw Rich caring for me, being the husband the Word commands him to be. Her in-laws that had been harsh with her improved as we prayed for them to be kind. She committed to The Way and grew in her faith. One day things went very wrong with her husband, who is from yet another people group. It was her in-laws that stepped in to redeem the situation and defend Jennifer. Things seemed to improve with her husband as well.

Three weeks after the family intervention, Jennifer probably got malaria, so sick she had to be hospitalized. When she got released from the hospital, her husband was in the hospital with complications of diabetes and blood pressure. The day before he was released from the hospital, our family returned from the capital. I went to visit them on the day he was released, which was also the anniversary of my surgery. I prayed with them and gave personal testimony of my not needing to fear death last year.

Her husband was released, though he was in a lot of pain. Three and a half days later, he died at home. Jennifer became a widow.

I did not find out until late the next day, and I went to visit her almost immediately. Rich and I intended on going to the funeral the next morning, but we were unable to do so when Rich's back went out. I went that afternoon instead, once Rich was well enough to be left alone and kids were playing. Jennifer begged me to bring the kids. The next morning I took the kids to visit her. They hugged her and prayed for her, and she sang songs with them that she has sung around the house. I went back that afternoon to take her something she had requested. I went back this morning with Rich and the kids.

Jennifer's in-laws commented on how good we are to keep coming. I said it is because she has been so good to us. We are family and take care of one another. I come to visit her and she has arranged for some one to come help me. (As a side note, though we are very close to Jennifer, she is not from our target audience, but the closest possible. Her replacement actually is from our target people.)

Maybe those who once were hostile to The Way will not be so hardened to it now. Maybe we can break the stereotype they have of white people and, more importantly, of those of The Way. Maybe this opens the door for those of another people group to come to faith. Maybe. All for His glory.
With all the maybes, Jennifer is still a widow.

No comments:

Post a Comment