About Me

My photo
Hello, I am a mother of three living with my husband in Africa. I have been blogging for seven years but still find myself very technologically challenged. I make lots of mistakes, but life is a journey. Come join me on the journey!

Sunday, June 28, 2015

Wait! Just Wait!

I think I learn a lesson, and then I get it again. Maybe one day it will stick.

Week before last was children's camp. I had at one time volunteered to be a counselor, but they had all they needed. An art teacher was going to be doing a Painting with a Twist class with the girls, but she needed some assistance. This is the job for which I was recruited.  I could go out to camp daily but not have to spend the night. In light of how tired I got that week, it was a good thing I was not a counselor.

On our last day, one sweet girl was asking for direction. They were instructed to paint the background  and then paint the cross in the center. Details could be added to both later. When this girl was done with the background, she asked if she could move on to the cross. I suggested she wait a few minutes to allow for the paint on the edges of the cross to dry, so that the paints would not smear. Poor sweet girl! She could not just wait. She kept touching up the background, which did not allow it to dry in a timely fashion. I finally gave her the ok to paint the cross, recommending that she start in the area that had no paint yet, before doing the edges. She did that and it turned out fine. Unfortunately then, she wanted to add light details to the dark background. The paint was so thick that it had not dried. Everytime she went to add a detail, the paints would smear. She came to the point of tears. I tried to comfort her and said it might be better when it dried. After she left, I proceeded to add the detail to the background and outline the cross, under the direction of the art teacher who was there.

Not every painting turned out like every girl hoped, and sometimes they had to change their minds about what they were going to do with their pictures. This little girl reminded me of how often I try to do stuff to just stay busy, when God just wants me to wait. He is working in the midst of my waiting, even if it is just to dry the paint. Not until I stop doing and wait can He add the beautiful details.

The little girl came back to get her painting and was so excited to see it finished. Maybe if I learn to wait, I will get to see some of the beautiful details too.

No comments:

Post a Comment