About Me

My photo
Hello, I am a mother of three living with my husband in Africa. I have been blogging for seven years but still find myself very technologically challenged. I make lots of mistakes, but life is a journey. Come join me on the journey!

Friday, January 9, 2015

Overcome with Confidence

As I said in my last post, I have gone in recent years to focusing on one word for the year. Sometimes I focus better than others. I have had trouble figuring out how to focus on that word throughout the year and really bring it into my life.

After the song "Overrcomer" was dedicated to me as it were, I began seeing the word "overcome" throughout scripture. I began to wonder if that was my word for the year. I began looking at verses that I could memorize that would keep that word ever before me. Unfortunately I did not find as many verses as I had hoped with this word in this context, i.e. I was not looking for it in the context of battles necessarily.  

In looking up these verses and in my regular reading, another word began to present itself. The word was "confidence." I began to wonder a few things. 

How is it that they overcame? 
Was it sheer will? 
From where did their strength to overcome originate? 

The first verse I chose to memorize was Numbers 13:30. 
"But Caleb quieted the people before Moses and said,
Let us go up at once and occupy it,
For we are well able to overcome it." 

Was Caleb that confident in the Israelites? 
Was Caleb that confident in Moses as a leader? 

No, Caleb's confidence was in the One who had delivered them out of the hand of the Egyptians and had made a way for them to cross on dry land, not mud, but dry land. 

So how are we to overcome the trials of this life? 
By pulling ourselves up by our bootstraps? 
No. 
Through confidence in the One True God. 

So when my strength is almost gone.  When I start to feel better and more mobile, just before it is time to go back to the doctor for further expansion.  When the things I want to do are put on hold to allow an open schedule for radiation. I will remain confident in the Almighty. 

So officially my word of the year is going to be "confidence," even as I look at how to overcome, thus my verses to memorize will be a mixture of verses containing either of these words. 
Maybe next year's word(s) will be immediately/at once, since I cannot seem to get away from those phrases as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment