About Me

My photo
Hello, I am a mother of three living with my husband in Africa. I have been blogging for seven years but still find myself very technologically challenged. I make lots of mistakes, but life is a journey. Come join me on the journey!

Monday, June 23, 2014

It's Tough Being a Chief part 2

In part one of this series, I talked about two chiefs, one who was looking ahead to death and one who had just died.  This is a blog to update on the places these men served. If you have not read part one, please do so. It will make this blog make more sense.

The first chief I had talked about was one who I had shared some with but had turned down the opportunity to hear more of The Way when volunteers came to share. Almost six months after that visit with volunteers, I went to greet the man along with a summer volunteer. I had heard that the chief was sick, but I was not prepared for how I found him. One leg was swollen some, likely an infection of some sort, but the rest of his body was wasted away. His mind was sharp, however I feared wearing him out too much. He could not sit or move on his own, but rather one of his children had to help move him any way he needed. The son said that it was his joints that did not work. We visited a little but then left, after I feared we already wore him out. Some neighbors told me how this chief had gone so far as to be put in jail in order to setup this village over thirty years ago, and my admiration for this man grew.  A couple of weeks later, I went by to greet him again.  This time he was completely skin and bones. My heart ached to see his daughter-in-law have to sit him up to receive me. I greeted and prayed with him, but I did not stay long as I could see how tired he was.  The daughter-in-law let me hold her new baby, who had been named after the chief.  A week later I was brought news that this chief had died.  My heart mourned for him, not so much for his physical death as it was so hard to see him sick but more for the fact that he had the opportunity to hear the Good News and he passed on it.  I attended the funeral with a teammate and the summer volunteers. Tomorrow will be the eighth day, on which they will continue to pray for him and his soul. My heart aches for those who mourn without hope.

The second chief I talked about in my first post was one who had recently passed away. At that time we did not know who would be the next chief and if he would be as open as the previous chief had been. Since that time, a nephew of the chief has been made chief. In an effort to assert his authority as chief, and at the encouragement of some of the people in the village, the new chief declared that he did not want the Brethren there. Unfortunately this new chief followed poor advice.  His own family who had been the hosts for many volunteers told the new chief that they could have whoever they wanted in their homes, so they would continue to welcome the brethren.  In addition this new chief was told by the chief of the arrondissement what a foolish declaration he had made. (For clarification on the arrondissement, please read "Yo Mambo!")  It will be interesting to see what else happens with that chief.

Praying for the man that will be appointed chief in the first village to have great wisdom and a heart for the Truth, and for all chiefs to seek only wise counsel.

No comments:

Post a Comment