About Me

My photo
Hello, I am a mother of three living with my husband in Africa. I have been blogging for seven years but still find myself very technologically challenged. I make lots of mistakes, but life is a journey. Come join me on the journey!

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

God's Protection from Overcommitment of Women

This morning as I read in Numbers, I found myself with lots of questions. Regarding men and making oaths, it simply said that they were to keep them. Regarding women and oath making, it went on and on about how the oath could be nulled if the father of the young girl or the husband of the woman decided it should not be.

I am not a feminist by any means, which my sister in law could tell you, however I am a product of my culture in some ways. I began questioning why it was that men had to keep oaths, but the oath of a woman could be overturned. Then it hit me.....

Maybe it is because we as women are proned to over commit and find it difficult to say no. Could it be that God was providing a safe guard for us to not be so stressed out? I see so many of my friends that are trying so hard to do it all, and I confess I can be right there with them. We want to do everything for everyone but that is not how it was intended to be.

Titus 2:3-5 tells us that the older woman is to "train the younger woman to love her husband and her children, to be self-controlled, pure, working at home, kind, and submissive to her own husband, that the Word of God may not be reviled."  We are the only ones who are to love our husbands and we are the ones that God gave our children to, so those are jobs that no one else can really do for us.

It's not modern nor fashionable. Some may think I just stepped out of the Stone Age and that's ok. I'm not saying that women cannot do other things or work or whatever, but I do think there is clear provision of an "out" for those times that we feel overcommitted and overwhelmed. I have found myself in that place of trying to do too much, and it has been my husband who helps me realize it and weed out what is unnecessary. I am thankful for him and that my sanity has been saved many times because of his direction in this area.

1 comment:

  1. What a great blog entry! I am someone that loves being busy and "doing everything," but sometimes I feel judged if I do decide to slow down or say "no" to something. Thank you for showing what the Bible has to say about this subject, and for being honest!

    ReplyDelete