About Me

My photo
Hello, I am a mother of three living with my husband in Africa. I have been blogging for seven years but still find myself very technologically challenged. I make lots of mistakes, but life is a journey. Come join me on the journey!

Thursday, May 17, 2012

O my, how do I respond to this one??

Almost two weeks ago now, I was visiting a friend.  She is my closest friend here that is not a "sister".  She is the only one whoever comes to just check on me and visit just to visit.  We get along really well.  I had to keep from jumping out of my skin on this visit though.

My friend and I were in the course of a normal conversation when she begins to complain about something.  She used a word I was unfamiliar with and asked me if it was true that we did not do that thing. It was clear that the government was declaring illegal something that was important to them.  After continued talking it became clear that she was talking about female circumcision. (Please see earlier post about female circumcision, which resulted from a discovery of a journal entry by a co-worker.)  She was concerned because only one of the girls in their house had it done, but there were several that were of the age and had not and now legally could not.  I sat in stunned horror at the thought of these precious girls suffering this terrible ordeal.  I wanted to scream at her that she could not possibly do such a thing, but I knew that was not going to accomplish my purpose.  I sat as she continued.

She said they needed to do so for their religion.  However, her husband, who had come out by this time, contradicted her that not all those in their religion have this tradition, but rather quietly he emphasized that it was a tradition for their people. She bemoaned the fact that financially times were hard and that they could not afford to have it done and the fact that the government was preventing this tradition.

With every bit of composure that I could muster, I explained that we did not do it for the sake of health of the girl, and she would not dare give them a medicine that could kill them.  I tried to tell her it would be better for them when they married.  I also tried to teach that the Word teaches that we are to obey our government, particularly in an area that God does not clearly command.

I confess that I was completely taken off guard by this and had no ready response other than to want to scream.  I have a feeling though that I will be on my guard for the next few weeks as the school year comes to an end for them, since things like that are generally done during the "summer break".  Please pray for me to have the right words to speak and that I can get through to the heart of my friend before one more precious girl has to suffer this agony.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment