About Me

My photo
Hello, I am a mother of three living with my husband in Africa. I have been blogging for seven years but still find myself very technologically challenged. I make lots of mistakes, but life is a journey. Come join me on the journey!

Sunday, October 11, 2009

Tests of obedience

"Wherefore I urge you to reaffirm your love for him. For to this end also I wrote that I might put you to the test, whether you are obedient in all things." 2 Cor. 2:8-9

So this week, my Word study has focused on prayer and the importance of blessing others. These verses from today pretty much sum up the week.

First, we got to our town. Like everywhere else in the world, there are those that for one reason or another are not all there mentally. One lady in particular has "her corner" in the same place that we find convenient to park. In the middle of the week, Dad laid it on my heart to go pray for her. I resisted not knowing why or for what purpose exactly or even how she would respond. Dad continued to press the issue. I was impressed to pray for Dad to restore to her the mind He created her to have. I know that He is able to do more than I could ever imagine, so I finally obeyed. Rich drove us over there and stayed in the truck with the kids. I tried to go give her a little food but she waved me away. I tried to give her a little money and she waved me away again. I reached out to touch her arm and she did not move. She did not wave me away, nothing. She just sat and let me touch her and pray. I prayed in her language, as best I could, though not as eloquently as I might have in English. I tried not to think about what anyone around me/us was thinking as they passed by where we were, though I felt the eyes of them on me. Now nothing miraculous happened as far as we might assess, i.e. she did not come suddenly into her right mind or anything, but who of us knows why God laid that on my heart. Maybe it was for her to have a human touch. Maybe it was for the people to see compassion in action, since they are so used to her. I know it was for me, for Him to test my obedience, and for me to do what He says despite how crazy others might think I am.

1 comment:

  1. Lisa,

    You are such a blessing for those people around you...I know they saw you laying your hands and praying for that woman and saw a Godly woman teaching them how to love those that they don't know! Praise the Lord for His love for us!

    Rachel (from Shreveport :^)

    ReplyDelete