About Me

My photo
Hello, I am a mother of three living with my husband in Africa. I have been blogging for seven years but still find myself very technologically challenged. I make lots of mistakes, but life is a journey. Come join me on the journey!

Sunday, May 27, 2018

The One is Worth It

A couple of weeks ago, Rich and I lead a training for the first time in French with our friends and colleagues leading the parts we did not have down yet. As you likely saw on our family ministry page at some point, the training is called, “Tell His Story, tell it often, tell it well...so that it becomes a way of life.” The training is three days long. 

On the first day, we present the orality approach to communicating and the Great Commission as what we are all to be doing. Then we teach them the story of the demoniac from Mark 5. All stories are followed by five questions to help them think through what the Word is saying. Then the group is sent out by twos to share with those in the community and then report back. They then are given home work to retell both the Great Commission story and the story of the demoniac with others that evening. Day two begins with reporting on how their storytelling went the evening before and with teaching Creation and Fall and then Abraham. After learning these stories, participants are taught how to properly give their testimony of salvation, which often results in some realizing that they are not actually saved. The day ends with a retelling of both Creation and Fall with Abraham as one story and the challenge to retell those stories with their testimony that evening. Day three begins with reporting on their storytelling and then goes into teaching about the Prophets and Jesus. The day ends with a retelling of the five parts (Creation and Fall, Abraham, Prophets, Jesus, and the Great Commission) in one story that takes about ten minutes. 

At this last training, on the first day, Rich taught the Great Commission Story, and then I taught the story of the Demoniac. The questions sparked lots of good answers. The questions included “what did you like about this story?” and “what did you not like about this story?” One of the things that was pointed out that was not liked was that Jesus did not let the man who had been healed follow him but rather told him to return to his family and village and tell all that the Lord had done for him. Jesus left him alone to be a light there. 

I was in tears at this point. I did share with the group why. My heart still hurts that we had to leave our home in Senegal as quickly as we did. My heart hurts that we were not able to continue to disciple the believers there. My heart aches for those few left alone to carry out the work. But God spoke to my heart in that moment, in front of that group of believers in Congo. Even if there was only one that came from Jesus crossing the sea that day, he was worth it. Even if he was left alone physically, he was not left alone in spirit. Even if the number of believers in the village in Senegal were not as high as we would have wanted them to be in order to have strong support, they were not left alone, but they were left with the Holy Spirit. Even if there was only one that came because of our time there, that one would be worth it. 


God heals in His own time, whether it be the demoniac or me or my children. God has brought us to Congo. A lot of healing is needed in a lot of lives. He is the only one that can heal. Trust Him to heal you too when you come humbly before Him! 

1 comment:

  1. Ultimately, our Abba Father will heal us all. Perfectly. Thanks for sharing, Lisa. I love y'all; and, these days, I am wont to say it more often (thank you, Sharon)!

    ReplyDelete